Snowy Chocolate Cupcakes
Did you ever want to make just a few cupcakes for maybe you and your immediate family or some friends? Isn’t it annoying when recipes are written to serve like 24 cupcakes- does anyone really need to eat 24 cupcakes? No. Aside from the fact that it’s not healthy, it’s just completely unnecessary if you’re not having a party or get-together. So, I decided to make these cupcakes in a small batch, therefore nothing goes to waste and no one is compelled to eat more (even though they’re so delicious you’re going to want to eat like 5 of them at one sitting :)).
Scrumptious chocolate cupcakes topped with lucisious dark chocolate frosting and snow! And by snow I mean sweetened coconut flakes- yummy! They’re easy to make and even easier to eat! And the cake is unbelievably moist because I used homemade buttermilk of course! Oh, if you’re wondering what kind of cupcake liner I used, they’re Reynolds Wrap! I did not use my babycakes machine with this recipe- I know surprise surprise! I was in the mood for a regular sized cupcake :).
Snowy Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 oz (2 squares) bittersweet chocolate (I used Ghiradelli 70% Cacao Bar)
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I used Ghiradelli Brand)
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) Softened Unsalted Butter
- 1 Large Egg (at room temperature)
- 1/4 Granulated Sugar
- 1/6 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Homemade Buttermilk (or store-bought)
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- PAM Baking Flavor
- 1/2 sweetened coconut flakes
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Dark Chocolate Frosting (recipe Below)
1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12 cup cupcake sheet with PAM and place liners in each cup. Set aside.
2. Melt the chocolate squares in the microwave and set aside to cool a bit. Meanwhile in large bowl beat together softened butter, brown and white sugar until creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined well about 2 minutes. Using a spatula stir in the melted chocolate.
3. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa. In a small bowl combine buttermilk and vanilla- set aside.
4. With the mixer on low, add in about 1/3 of the flour mixture and blend well. Then add about 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture and blend well. Continue adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, alternating and mixing well between each addition. Scrape sides of bowl with the spatula. DO NOT OVER MIX.
5. Pour about 2 hefty tbsp of mixture into each cup. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove and cool before frosting.
Makes 12 cupcakes
Dark Chocolate Frosting:
- 4 tbsp Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I used Ghiradelli Brand)
- 1 oz bittersweet chocolate melted (I used Ghiradelli 70% Cacao Bar)
- 3 cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- 3-4 tbsp Milk (I used skim plus)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. In a large bowl combine melted butter and cocoa. Add the melted chocolate. Mix well until lumps are smooth. Using a hand mixer beat in confectioner’s sugar and 2-3 tbsp of milk. Beat until thick and creamy- I like my frosting really thick because it’s easier to pipe that way. However, you can add more or less milk depending on your desired consistency.
2. Place frosting into a piping bag with a medium round tip, or cut off a small corner of a big ziplock bag. Pipe into swirls on the cooled cupcakes. Top with a generous amount of sweetened coconut and serve!
Makes about 2 cups
Like Cupcakes? Try These!