Who needs a hamburger when you can turn a veggie burger into literally ANYTHING?! I know that a vegetarian’ freezer definitely has a package of veggie burgers. Don’t lie, you do! They’re a great source of protein and fiber and not to mention they’re really filling- great for lunchtime! I figured I’d get a little creative with my lunch today and it only took about 10 minutes! My veggie sandwich is oozing with sauteed onions and fire roasted peppers, and the feta cheese gives it a Mediterranean kick! If you like gourmet sandwiches, veggies and cheese, than you’ll LOVE this veggie burger creation!
Mediterranean Veggie Heaven:
- 1 Ciabatta Roll- slice in half lengthwise
- 1 veggie burger- thawed in the microwave (any brand is fine)
- 1/2 small onion- cut in thin rounds
- roasted red pepper- 1 slice from a jar
- 1 tbsp light mayo (or vegan substitute)
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- red crushed pepper- to taste
- coarse black pepper
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat crumbled feta cheese (or vegan substitute)
- PAM-olive oil flavor
Tools: Small skillet, spatula
1. Stir the light mayo with dill weed, garlic powder, black pepper and red crushed pepper. Set aside.
2. Spray pan with PAM and set on medium flame. Add the sliced onions and sprinkle with red crushed pepper and black pepper. Saute about 2 minutes on each side, or until its smokey and cooked through. Remove from heat.
3. Spray each side of the roll, and place on the pan. Grill until golden brown. Remove from heat.
4. Place the thawed veggie burger in the hot skillet, and grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Spread one side of bread with mayo mixture, place burger on one side, top with roasted pepper, grilled onions and top with crumbled feta. Press top slice down, and holding tight, slice sandwich in half.
5. Serve with reduced-fat chips and a coke zero!
PS- this is great for picnics AND work! Just wrap in tin-foil and carry it to work! It’ll keep you filled ALL afternoon, so you won’t stick your hand into that company chocolate bowl! 🙂
Check it Out!