As a New Yorker you know that bagels are an important part of life. However, I don’t go eating bagels everyday considering they’re pretty calorific and carby. But the occasional toasted bagel in the morning smothered with veggie cream cheese is always good! We had some everything bagels (my favorite next to Garlic bagels) laying around in the house, so I decided to have one. I think the last time I had a bagel before this was the morning after halloween-ok so not bad, it’s been about 2 weeks! I wanted to zest up my bagel, so I decided to layer in some egg whites with cheddar and a “homemade” cream cheese. It came out really good, and it was pretty healthy too! Of course I used reduced fat items and egg whites (which have NO fat) so it was a really hearty and healthybreakfast! Perfect for a day where you don’t know if you’ll get time for lunch- cause I promise you it’ll keep you full for a while!
Oh, also this recipe is pretty similar to my Egg & Cheese on a Roll, but just with a few additions!
Zesty Bagel Breakfast Recipe:
- 1 everything bagel (or any flavor that you like!)
- 3 jumbo egg whites (separated)
- 1/2 inch cube reduced fat sharp cheddar (I used 1/2 stick of Crackel Barrel Reduced Fat Snack Stick)
- 1/2-1 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese (I used Philadelphia Brand)
- 1 tbsp Hot Salsa- any brand is fine
- coarse black pepper- few grinds
- PAM butter flavor
1. Mix salsa and cream cheese together, set aside. In a small skillet over medium-low heat spray with PAM. Add egg whites and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook on one side for about 2-3 minutes until its cooked enough to flip. While the eggs are cooking, toast the bagel in a toaster until golden brown. Flip eggs to other side and cook for about a minute. Spread on cheddar and fold the omelette over to create a half-moon shape. Remove from heat once the cheese is all melted.
2. Spray bagel with PAM butter flavor, spread cream cheese mixture on 1 half. Place cheese omelette on that side, and cover with the other half of the bagel. Carefully cut in half and enjoy!
Cheddar: 3 grams of fat, 45 calories
3 jumbo egg whites: 0 grams of fat, about 20 calories each
1 tbsp cream cheese: 3 grams of fat, 30 calories
1 bagel: ~2 grams of fat, 350 calories, about 65 carbs (!!)