I like diner food. I think NYC has the best diner food- yes, I am biased. But, seriously take me to a a diner in another state that is better than a NYC diner. Yah, it probably doesn’t exist, hehe. In any case, we were in the mood for some diner-style food, and didn’t really want to drive to the local diner (which is 5 minutes away, I know laziness at its peak!). So I decided to make some homefries- crispy on one side, salty, and loaded with onions. Of course, I added a little spice, but it was pretty much pimped-out diner-style potatoes. Did I mention they’re healthy, vegetarian and vegan? Yup!
- 1 idaho potatoes- washed
- 1 medium white onion- thick diced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- cayenne pepper- to taste
- salt-to taste
- coarse black pepper- few grinds
- PAM original flavor
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil (I use extra virgin)
- 2-3 tbsp cilantro– finely chopped (optional)
Ghetto style boiled potatoes.
1. Wrap each potato in plastic wrap and microwave for about 4 minutes each until 4 tender. Set aside to cool. Dice into medium-sized cubes (same size as onions preferably).
2. Meanwhile in a large non-stick skillet spray with PAM and pour oil and set over medium flame. Add onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add spices and saute until fragrant and onions are soft- about 5-7 minutes. Add potatoes and combine with spices and onions. Saute for about 8 minutes, with 5 minutes covered. This is when the potatoes will get crispy on one side- increase/decrease flame accordingly. I had it on medium-high flame. Uncover, taste for salt and spices. Place in serving dish and top with chopped cilantro (if desired). Serve with favorite breakfast meal!
Serves 2-4 people
Want more yummy Breakfast Options?