Even though orzo is an Italian pasta, I feel like it doesn’t have to be cooked in a traditional Italian manner. Then again, nothing has to be cooked with rules or regulations (that’s why I love to cook!). When I think of orzo I think Italian, Moroccan and a bit Middle Eastern.
So I basically combined all those flavors in this dish. I made this dish quickly after work one night at 9:00pm, so that in itself tells you its fast, easy and definitely satisfying. Pair it with some tofu steaks, eggplants or soup/sandwich and you’re good to go! Most of these ingredients can be found in your pantry- trust me I had NOTHING in my kitchen when I made this, that’s why it’s such a jumble of ingredients, but surprisingly came out so good!
Garlic-Mint Orzo with Cumin & Capers:
- 2 cups cooked orzo (not al dente)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- PAM olive oil spray
- 3-4 cloves garlic- chopped
- 1 tsp cumin power
- dash garlic powder
- dash of dried Italian herbs
- 1-2 tbsp capers
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 1 tbsp red crushed pepper (please adjust to your spice level)
- lots of coarse black pepper
- handful of fresh mint- finely chopped (plus a few sprigs for garnishing)
1. In a nonstick saucepan, spray with PAM and pour oil and set over medium-high heat. Add garlic and bring the heat down to medium-low. Saute until fragrant and slightly golden- do not cook on high flame, as garlic will burn and create a very bitter taste. Add cumin and capers, saute for a few minutes.
2. Add in the cooked orzo and increase flame to medium-high and saute until covered with the capers and spices. Add garlic powder, italian herbs, lemon zest and red crushed pepper. Saute for a few minutes until orzo is completely coated with spice and fragrant. Finally add the chopped fresh mint and lots of coarsely ground black pepper. Mix lightly and quickly transfer to a serving dish. Top with whole sprig of mint for garnishing. Dig in!
Like This? Then you may like my other Vegan Recipes!
Sauteed Indian Okra with Homemade Masala (featured on PETA!)
Masala Tofu Burgers (featured on PETA!)
12 thoughts on “Garlic-Mint Orzo with Cumin & Capers”
that looks good!
Looks delicious, Love orzo and lots of garlic. Very yummt.
I love orzo too- it’s so versatile!
Hello Ana! Your Orzo salad looks delicious! So culorfol and moist and step-by-step pictures are so cute and fun (adding more colors to orzo). It’s my first time here and I enjoyed browsing your blog very much.
Mmm, looks amazing! I love orzo, and I have predictable caper-craving cycles. 😉 Wonderful dish!
Look very tasty, I discover orzo pasta a year ago in my blog travel to Venice, have a pasta texture but look like rice and like you show us in the recipe is a pasta very versatile
That looks absolutely delicious–orzo is one of my favorite little pastas. What a great flavor combination!
Yum, looks great. I’m a big fan of capers in anything!