I’m sure you know by now that I have a huge sweet tooth and will always given in to something chocolatey. I was bored one day and was really in the mood for a strawberry shortcake, but I wanted chocolate as well. So what better way to combine chocolate and strawberries than in a cupcake?! It give’s the look and feel of a strawberry shortcake but is not as heavy and dense as the biscuits in strawberry shortcakes. It’s also easy to make and involves ingredients that are rdily available. It is also one of those “homestyle” desserts- so the appearance does not have to be perfect. When I think of this dessert, I think of a warm southern summer night. Its absolutely scrumptious!
I also add a bit of mint and orange just make it taste even lighter and citrusy.
Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes:
- 24 chocolate cupcakes cooled- with 1 tbsp of orange zest added to the batter
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries- sliced
- 2-3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3-4 tbsp of sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- handful of fresh mint- finely chopped
1. In a medium sized bowl add the strawberries, orang juice, orange zest and sugar. Increase/decrease amount of sugar added based on natural sweetness of the berries. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.
2. In a large cool and clean metal bowl pour in the heavy cream. Beat on high for about 30 seconds. Slowly add in the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat on medium-high for about 4 minutes until medium-firm peaks form. Shut off mixer and fold in the chopped mint- fold gently using a spatula.
3. Once the chocolate cupcakes have cooled, gently slice the tops off (holding knife against the cupcake liner) and set aside. Take about 1-2 tbsp of the strawberry mixture and top the cupcake with i- drizzling on some liquid to seep into the cake. Top with mint-orange whipped cream and gently place the cupcake lid on top. Top with more cream and a sprig of mint for garnishing. I recommend assembling the cupcakes right before serving. You can keep the strawberries, cream and cupcake separately int he fridge and assemble right before your guests arrive.
Makes 24 Cupcakes
Like Berries? Like Cupcakes? Like Sweets?
Orange-Scented Strawberry Shortcake
Salted Dulce-de-Leche Chocolate Cupcakes
8 thoughts on “Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes (with Mint & Orange)”
Oh my, what glorious treats! And very interesting to have orange and mint in there, too!
haha yah the combination is great!!
Those look like they would be deliciously messy to eat. What great flavors!
Can you say gorgeous! I am in love with shortcake without a date but in cupcake fork it grows even cuter!
Choc Chip Uru
Chocolate strawberry shortcake? Brilliant! Love the addition of the orange too. Citrus always brightens things up a little!